Andy SkinnerThe Book Of Secrets
Book of Secrets Stage 7: Dry Brushing
Videos for stage 7
With this technique we can now start adding some realism to the book.
1. Dry brush the entire surface with Burnt Umber.
Remember to keep the brush turning in different directions to form the shadows around the embellishments.
Continue building up this layer until happy with the result, remember you should still see the black showing through the burnt umber layer.
2. Dry brush with Burnt Sienna in random places
just to accent; the more you dry brush with this colour, the rustier it will look.
We can now start picking out some of the detail on the compasses by dry brushing with gold.
Dry brush the large compass with Glorious Gold.
Keep building the colour gradually until happy, you want to see the underlying colours beneath the gold.
4. Repeat step 3 with the small compass.
5. Keep building the gold up until happy with the result.
6. Next mix a mid grey from black and white and dry brush very lightly in a few areas but
keep it subtle.
7. Mix a little white with Burnt Sienna and highlight some of the raised detail on the rivets and nail heads.
Stage 1 Preparation and applying the card
Stage 3 Back Cover
Stage 4 The spine
Stage 5 Dry Brushing Practice
Stage 6 Applying the first coats of acrylic
Stage 7 Dry brushing
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.